- 2 x 565g cans Nature’s Charm young green jackfruit in brine
- 1/4 cup BBQ seasoning (2 Tbsp brown sugar + 1 tsp paprika + 1 tsp garlic powder + 1/2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp pepper + 1/2 tsp chili powder)
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce + more for topping
- 2 cups shredded purple and green cabbage + carrots
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- (water to thin)
- 4-6 buns
- Rinse, drain and thoroughly dry jackfruit. Chop off the center “core” portion of the fruit and discard. Place in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix together BBQ seasoning and add to jackfruit. Toss to coat.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Once hot, add 1-2 Tbsp oil of choice and seasoned jackfruit. Toss to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes to achieve color.
- Add BBQ sauce and thin with enough water to make a sauce. Stir and reduce heat to low- medium and cook for about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir occasionally. (For a finer texture, use two forks to shred the jackfruit as it cooks down)
- In the meantime, make slaw by adding all ingredients except vegetables (avocado through salt + pepper) to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Thin with water until a thick sauce is made, then add veggies and toss to coat. Set in the refrigerator until serving.
- Once the jackfruit has been properly simmered, turn up heat to medium-high and cook for 2-3 minutes to get a little extra color/texture. Remove from heat.
- Place generous portions of BBQ jackfruit on the bottom buns, top with generous serving of slaw. Serve with extra BBQ sauce!